This page is part of the Web Development Resources
This section deals with all aspects of incorporating graphical images into your
web site. Make sure you don't get too carried away with graphics, many pages
are very difficult to read because of their use of fancy backgrounds and logos.
It is important to remember that in most cases the real focus of your site is
its content. Graphics should be functional rather than extravagant.
- The Pixel Foundry
- Excellent source of hints to make your graphics look better. Biased towards
Photoshop users but extremely useful for others, too. Includes "tips for web
designers", the famous "Kai's power tips and tricks for Adobe Photoshop", and
an online forum and gallery.
- Graphics Formats for the WWW
- Details of the image formats frequently used on the web, giving the
advantages and disadvantages of using them.
- Transparent/Interlaced GIF Resources
- Excellent source of information on transparent and interlaced images in the
GIF89a format, also containing links to useful software.
- Graphics viewers, editors, utilities and info
- A huge collection of links to all sorts of graphical programs.
- A perl script which reads in an HTML file and inserts HEIGHT and
WIDTH tags in all occurences of the <IMG> attribute.
- Imaging Machine
- Performs powerful graphical manipulation routines online so you don't have
to download, install and configure your own software.
- GIF Wizard
- Reduce the size of your GIF files online. Type in the URL of a GIF you want
it to act on, and it sends you back several smaller files for you to choose
- The most popular commercial graphics development program.
- The GIMP
- The GIMP (General Image Manipulation Program) is a high quality freeware
graphics program for UNIX machines which rivals many commercial packages.
- Thalia's Guide: The Color Page
- A comprehensive resource covering and linking to all aspects of colour and
Graphical image maps allow the web server to respond in a different way
depending on which part of the image the user clicks on.
- Imagemap Help Page
- A well written resource containing introductory information, relevant links
and software tools which make development of image maps easier.
- Implementing Image Maps
- A lengthy discussion of image maps, how to use them and how to implement
If you don't have the time or ability to create good looking graphics then these
resources will help you make your site look great.
- Yahoo's Clip Art Links
- Yahoo's list of clip art sites, including icons. A good starting place.
- Background Images Archive
- Plenty of high quality background images and a few horizontal rules,
bullets, decorative lettering and more.
- Internet Font Archives
- Using the same old fonts to create logos with doesn't look very impressive,
there are hundreds available from here to liven up your logos.
- Barry's Clip Art Server
- Lots of different images all grouped together under headings such as
"Chemistry Clip Art", "Firefighters Page" and "Cartoon Clip Art".
There are also over 100 animated GIFs.
Brought to you by eBORcOM